Friday, May 20, 2011

Something I Wrote, Part 3: "The Rehearsal" Comedy Sketch

"Ohhhh...YEAH!"
In sort-of-honor of the passing of Randy Savage, I've decided to post my only wrestling-based comedy sketch.

This one was actually performed a few times, and it usually went well, mainly because it's short. It began as a much longer version, but my writing teacher suggested I go in a slightly different (and shorter and better) direction.

In many ways I prefer the long version, but it's an example of a sketch that looks really great as I'm writing it (and perhaps as you're reading it), but when you rehearse it, it just doesn't work. The timing doesn't come through, and it drags in spots you weren't expecting.

But that's the difference between writing that's meant to be read and writing that's meant to be performed. Not every piece of writing works in both formats. I always wonder whether my novels, if I were ever to finish any of them, would be entertaining to read aloud if I were fortunate to hold a book reading/signing.

But before I'll ever know that, I'd have to actually complete a novel first. I know I just wrote that; I'm just emphasizing the fact that I have a number of unfinished novels.

So enjoy the finished version, and snap into a Slim Jim for our deceased ring hero. May you finally enjoy the company of Elizabeth, Macho Man.





INT. A STUDIO -- DAY
An ACTOR is onstage, holding a script.

    DIRECTOR (O.S.)
  And...action!

    ACTOR
  Oh, excuse me. I don't mean to be a nuisance.

The DIRECTOR emerges.

    DIRECTOR
  What's up?

    ACTOR
  Here in the script I say the word "pull." 
  I believe the word "rip" would be stronger.

    DIRECTOR
   (mulling this)
  I see that.

    ACTOR
  So could we make the change?

    DIRECTOR
  Absolutely.

    ACTOR
  Great.

The DIRECTOR starts to walk offstage when:

    ACTOR (CONT)
  Oh. I'm being a real pest here...

    DIRECTOR
  No, no, please.

    ACTOR
  We say the word "throat" twice. Redundant, 
  don't you think?

    DIRECTOR
  I'm glad you caught that.

    ACTOR
  I was thinking: first time, "throat"; second 
  time, "windpipe." 

    DIRECTOR
   (admiringly)
  "Windpipe." That works. Plus you'll have--

    ACTOR
  --alliteration with the word "whipped."

    DIRECTOR
  "Whipped windpipe." Yes.

    ACTOR
  Great. I'm ready to go.
 
    DIRECTOR
  All right, everyone! Places!

He walks offstage.

    DIRECTOR (O.S.)
  And...action!

    ACTOR
   (crazed and bloodcurdling)
  Tonight at Wrestlemania I'm gonna rip out 
  your throat and shove it down your whipped 
  windpipe! Whooo! 
THE END 
Not too shabby. Here's the longer, original version.

INT. TELEVISION STUDIO -- DAY
A mean professional wrestler, KING MAYHEM, addresses the 
camera. He is holding a folding chair in a menacing 
fashion. He speaks angrily, in the manner of a villainous 
character.

    MAYHEM
  This Saturday night at Wrestlepalooza, 
  I, King Mayhem, will defeat Mister 
  Goodbody and claim his championship belt. 
  His millions of pathetic fans will weep 
  uncontrollably as I stomp their hero all 
  over the ring. And after I take your 
  title belt, I'm gonna make you bow...
  to the mayhem! And then...and then...
   (his tone changes to something
    more gentle and polite)
  I'm sorry. I can't do this.
    
A DIRECTOR walks on stage.
    DIRECTOR
  What's wrong?
    
    MAYHEM
  This copy...it doesn't feel right.
    
    DIRECTOR
  You liked it when we showed you the 
  draft.
    
    MAYHEM
  On paper it looked fine, but it's 
  different when you read it out loud.
    
    DIRECTOR
  Seems OK when you read it.
    
    MAYHEM
  Isn't it a little heavy on the 
  exposition? Everybody knows that we're
  meeting at Wrestlepalooza. I think it 
  takes too long to get to the heart of 
  what I'm trying to say.
  
    DIRECTOR
  Sigh. Fine.
   (Calls to someone off stage.)
  Let's try the other copy!
  
The DIRECTOR leaves. KING MAYHEM takes a moment to get into 
his character, as if he were preparing to play Hamlet.
   
    MAYHEM
   (intimidating voice)
  Mister Goodbody! Do you enjoy wearing 
  that championship belt? Well, enjoy it 
  while you can! Because in three days 
  I'm gonna enjoy tearing it off your 
  lifeless body when I'm through crushing 
  your measly existence. And you, and all 
  your pathetic fans, are gonna have to 
  bow...to the mayhem!
   (gentle voice)
  I don't know...

The DIRECTOR reemerges.
    
    DIRECTOR
   (encouraging)
  It was good!
    
    MAYHEM
  Come on. I say "enjoy" in three 
  consecutive sentences. I sound like an 
  idiot.
    
    DIRECTOR
  It's a...a motif.
    
    MAYHEM
  A motif? A motif is based on a recurring 
  image or theme, not just repeating the 
  same word three times.
  
    DIRECTOR
  We can fix that. We'll say "like" instead 
  of the first "enjoy," and, uh, "relish"
  on the third "enjoy."
    
    MAYHEM
  Hmm. I like that. And I have a question 
  about my catchphrase.
    
    DIRECTOR
  You mean...
   (as a wrestler would say it)
  "Bow...to the mayhem!"
    
    MAYHEM
  Yes. Do I really want people to bow? 
  If I'm "King Mayhem," I'd want something 
  more referential, like genuflecting.
  
    DIRECTOR
  "Genuflect...to the mayhem"?
    
    MAYHEM
  What do you think?
    
    DIRECTOR
  Doesn't exactly roll of the tongue.
  
    MAYHEM
  Yeah. I guess you're right. That was 
  dumb.
    
KING MAYHEM lets out a long SIGH.
    
    DIRECTOR
  What's wrong?
    
    MAYHEM
  I just feel so stupid. Messing up the 
  lines, idiotically tampering with my 
  catchphrase...
  
    DIRECTOR
  You are NOT stupid.
    
    MAYHEM
  Sigh. I don't know anymore...
    
    DIRECTOR
  Hey! When we all went out to dinner 
  after Grapplemania 7, who helped The 
  Detonator choose the correct wine with 
  his duck a l'orange?
   
    MAYHEM
  I did.
    
    DIRECTOR
  And who helped El Gigante Gringo 
  study to pass his citizenship exam?
    
    MAYHEM
  I did.
    
    DIRECTOR
  You see? You're just feeling a little 
  blocked. We all get that way sometimes. 
  Tell you what. Why don't you improvise 
  this one.
    
    MAYHEM
  Really? Are you sure?
    
    DIRECTOR
  Yes. Use your instincts, and I'm sure 
  we'll do fine.
    
    MAYHEM
  OK. I'll try.
    
The DIRECTOR leaves. KING MAYHEM really focuses this time.
    
    MAYHEM
   (really into it now)
  A new reign is dawning this Saturday 
  night! Madison Square Garden will 
  witness a coronation of destruction as 
  I, King Mayhem, am crowned heavyweight 
  champion! And there's nothing that 
  Mister Goodbody can do to resist. You 
  cannot change repel the tides of history 
  in the making! Mister Goodbody will 
  enter a champion, but will leave a 
  casualty. I will take your pride, 
  your championship belt, and your fans! 
  And when I pin you and emerge victorious, 
  you, Mister Goodbody, along with the 
  thousands at the Garden and the 
  millions of fans at home, will 
  bow...TO THE MAYHEM!
  
The DIRECTOR reemerges.
    
    DIRECTOR
  That was brilliant!
    
    MAYHEM
  I feel great! My acting teacher would 
  be so proud of me. I found my motivation, 
  and all my choices were real! I wasn't 
  just some mindless neanderthal, some 
  one-dimensional cardboard character. 
  I was a living, breathing human with 
  honest emotions!
  
    DIRECTOR
  It was fantastic. But are you sure you 
  don't want to do another take?
    
    MAYHEM
  No way. I put it all out there. I'd 
  never be able to match it.
  
    DIRECTOR
  Ah. The problem is, the camera was out 
  of tape during that last take. Can you 
  do it just one more time?

MAYEM lifts the chair over his head, ROARS, then 
slams it on the director's head.

    THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment