|We'll always have the memories.|
And the phone bills.
At the time, I assumed I would eventually find the thing. After all, I've lost-then-found just about everything I own, including:
• Assorted remote control devices
• My prescription sunglasses
• My regular glasses
• Notebooks of various sizes
• A terrible incomplete draft of a terrible incomplete novel
• Cables to connect the cell phone to other devices
• My wallet
• The same cellphone that I eventually lost forever
And as soon as I realized it was missing, I knew it was lost. Like, forever. I was at work and completing my afternoon visit to the bathroom — the one on the other side of the building near where the vice presidents and their minions sit because it’s a little more private and the extra walk is good exercise or at least that’s what I tell myself even though the real reason is that it kills more time than using the facility just around the corner from the prison cell where I toil — and I’d placed it next to the sink as I washed my hands.